Saturday, July 26, 2014

Road Trip Thoughts


We leave for our trip in 5 days! I can't believe it! We still have so much to do! As the day gets closer I get a little more nervous. Mostly because we are traveling across the country TWICE (over 7,000 miles...YIKES!) with two kids. But there's always that paranoid thought in the back of my mind. I wish it would just go away. I've spent the last month putting my "crap I need to pack" list together. I've made a simple version to share with you guys (my "holy crap there's not enough room in my car" post will make it's appearance on Friday). Here is what is on my list:

To keep me busy:
Sketch book
Penpal stuff
Travel Journal (another post entirely)
Books
iPod

To keep the kids busy:
DVD player
Movies
Books
Crayons
Coloring books
Small toys

Food-dry goods:
Bread
Pirates booty
Gerber Pouches
Cookies
Banana muffins
Peanut butter
Water bottles
Juice boxes

Food-ice chest:
Watermelon
Cheese sticks
Jelly-squeeze
Mayo-small container
Lunch meat-separated

Hotel bag:
2 changes of clothes each
Pajamas
Toiletries

Space Bags:
5 changes of clothes each
Swim suits

Air mattress
Co-sleeper
Pillows
Sheet
Blankets
Jake's swim float
Umbrella stroller
Bag of toys

That's definitely not everything, but it's most of it. We are using the Space Bags to put our clothes in that we don't need during the drive (because clothes for 4 people is too much), and the "hotel bag" is separate. I also purchased two of those awesome travel trays from amazon as well as a Munchkin Seat Back Organizer so everything is within reach for me. And to fill the space between the kids' carseats I created a divided storage caddy out of a cardboard box. Hey, no one said it had to be pretty. It just has to be functional. And it would be if Jacob didn't rip one of the dividers out (I'll fix it eventually...most likely the day we leave).

As far as the trip goes, we will be driving from 1pm-1am to better suit our schedules. Abigail naps at 130pm, they both go to bed around 9pm, Abigail then wakes up to nurse around 1am and I don't go to bed until after that, so it works out perfectly. Plus I have to keep my husband entertained so he doesn't get bored and sleepy. We are planning on staying in a hotel for the 2 nights we'll be on the road, so we'll go out for brunch after check-out, and then have lunch and dinner in the car. We are trying to avoid buying meals (except breakfast), so we are packing what we can. I'm still trying to figure out the dinner situation. We may just get pizza the night before and have cold pizza for dinner three nights in a row (totally kidding, but it's tempting).

Anyway, I can't wait to get everything packed and to be able to share my journey with you all!

Until next time!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment